Whether you seek professional advancement in the arts or simply wish to explore your creative self, our course offers an accessible, supportive, inclusive, and enriching environment where everyone can thrive.
York St John University validates Performance Academy course to Certificate of Education in Performing Arts Level 4, the only one in the UK.
We have listened to learning disabled and autistic people to establish the Performance Academy. A place where everyone can explore their creative ambitions, whether it’s for personal joy or a pathway to a professional career.
The Performance Academy offers comprehensive training in Theatre, Music, Dance, and Industry Studies. Beyond artistic skills, we focus on building confidence, communication and teamwork.
Through detailed one-on-one assessments, we provide personalised support to enable students to develop skills in an accessible learning environment.
Located in Bradford, our fully equipped studios provide a safe space for learning where everyone will have the opportunity to collaborate with experienced artists and engage with professional companies.
Our course is thoughtfully designed to cater to the specific needs of learning disabled and autistic people, and we provide a nurturing and inclusive environment where everyone can thrive.
We prepare learning disabled and autistic people for a future filled with creativity and self expression.
Our partnership with York St John University ensures that our course is validated to Certificate of Education Level 4, a unique offering in the UK for people with learning disabilities and autism.
Each year, our students take the stage in our annual Showcase performance, allowing their unique talents to shine in front of an appreciative audience.
Performance Academy is a 3-year full-time training course for learning disabled and autistic people.
- Starting September 2024 and ending July 2027
- 35 weeks per year
- Core hours: Monday to Thursday, 10 am to 3pm
- Over the age of 18 years old
- Learning disabled and or autistic people
- A keen interest in the Performing Arts with a drive to explore and work in the arts industry
- The Performance Academy course costs £50 per day – this is usually paid for by the student’s local authority through Adult Social Care Personal Budgets.
- If you have any questions about the registration process or the Performance Academy please call us on 01274 487390 or email us email@example.com
Community and Networking
- Family Connections: We encourage participants and their families to connect, forming a supportive community.
- Regular Gatherings: Join us for regular events, providing opportunities for participants and families to bond and share experiences.
- Open Rehearsals: Witness your loved ones in action during open rehearsals and connect with like minded people.
- Support Network: Our dedicated support staff facilitate connections and provide assistance to both students and their families.
- Inclusive Performances: Enjoy inclusive performances and celebrate the many talents of our students alongside other families in our community.
Year 1: Building Strong Foundations
- Explore Classic and Contemporary plays.
- Get started with dance through Dance Techniques.
- Develop music performance skills: song writing, music composition, keyboard skills, vocals and body percussion.
- Discover how professional theatre and performance companies work.
Year 2: Expanding Your Horizons
- Dive into Physical Theatre and learn from physical theatre companies.
- Strengthen your Dance Choreography skills.
- Study Music Production for screen and stage.
- Understand your skills in a broader industry context.
Year 3: Achieve Excellence Together
- Study Music Composition and try your hand at song writing.
- Choreograph your own dance piece.
- Hone your Devising Theatre skills.
- Showcase your talents in a final Performance Project that combines theatre, music, and dance.
- Create a portfolio focused on professional pathways.
When I’m in the building I feel that I’m doing something I want to do and I’m progressing towards a career, I enjoy the subjects and just getting on with it in theatre, dance and going on the keyboard.
I feel very supported seeing smiley faces and being given time and patience and staff know me well.
Performance Academy Staff
Associate Artist: Theatre
Emily works with our amazing Performance Academy to develop and nurture their skills in theatre.View Profile
Associate Artist: Dance and Engagement
Karen started with Mind the Gap in 2008 and is now an Associate Artist in Dance and Engagement.View Profile
Associate Artist: MusicView Profile
Academy Music TutorView Profile
Head of Learning and Support (Maternity Deputy for Academy Director)
Melissa is responsible for overseeing the Performance Academy programme in partnership with York St John’s University and managing the student’s support needs and welfare.View Profile
Academy Director (Maternity Leave)
Charli oversees the smooth running of Mind the Gap Academy.View Profile
Learning Support Worker
Becca provides hands on support in sessions, ensuring that everyone is learning to their best ability.View Profile
Academy Dance Tutor
Katie is the Academy Dance Tutor, which means she can usually be found downstairs in our Dance Studio!View Profile
Frequently Asked Questions
Applications for Performance Academy course now open. Apply here.
We are based in Bradford and our address is Silk Warehouse, Patent Street, Bradford, BD9 4SA.
Performance Academy course costs £50 per day – this is usually paid for by the student’s local authority through Adult Social Care Personal Budgets.