We are currently recruiting for the following positions:
Associate Artist: FORUM THEATRE
Applicants to apply before
Job title: Associate Artist: FORUM THEATRE
Responsible to: Academy Director (Charli Ward)
Contract type: Freelance Contract. Fees based on £120 per day / £15 p/h. Days normally based on 8 hours per day, but may be longer or shorter by mutual agreement.
Dates of engagement: January to May 2019 – dates to be mutually agreed.
Estimated number of days: January or February: total 12 days including group training and re-development of “Anna” Forum Theatre workshop;
March to May: total 12 – 15 days estimated, including touring with “Anna” to learning disability and other groups as part of the larger “Zara” project.
Deadline for applications: Wednesday 12th December at 12 noon
Workshop / Interviews: Tuesday 18th December
Note: this will be a morning or afternoon session, and will include a practical session with MTG artists
Start date: w/c 7th January 2019
About Mind the Gap
Mind the Gap is one of Europe’s leading theatre companies creating work in partnership with learning disabled artists. We tour productions regionally, nationally and internationally. Our custom designed Studios in Bradford offer exemplary access and excellent quality equipment and facilities.
Forum Theatre / Theatre of the Oppressed techniques have featured in the company’s work since the company began in 1988, co-founded by Susan Brown and Tim Wheeler.
To support our current Daughters of Fortune project, and specifically the touring Forum Theatre piece called “Anna”, Mind the Gap is looking to commission a suitably qualified Associate Artist with expertise in Theatre of the Oppressed / Forum Theatre to join our team on a freelance basis.
Candidates are strongly encouraged to find out more about the company and its work, including the Daughters of Fortune project, by looking at our website: http://www.mind-the-gap.org.uk.
About the role
The successful applicant will be an experienced Forum Theatre practitioner with a track record in performing the role of Joker.
The post-holder will work alongside learning-disabled artists and MTG’s Resident and Academy Directors (Joyce Nga Yu Lee and Charli Ward).
“Anna” is a Forum Theatre workshop that has already been developed with learning disabled artists, based on interviews, research and evaluation involving people with direct experience of the issues it raises. This next phase of work will revisit the existing scenes, develop new ones, and create flexible training workshops for different audiences.
Essential Skills and requirements:
- three years’ experience of devising and jokering forum theatre productions
- knowledgeable and proficient in theatre of the oppressed techniques
- able to tour with the production
- willing to undergo a DBS check
- have prior experience of working with people with a learning disability
- have performance training in addition to Theatre of the Oppressed techniques
- ability and willingness to drive on behalf of the company, and hold a valid, clean driving licence
- First Aid at Work qualification
The ideal candidate will be:
- a confident communicator and performer
- able to work flexibly in a team
- able to work under pressure
- good at time keeping and meeting deadlines
- be respectful and committed to equality of opportunity for all
Mind the Gap welcomes and encourages applications from everyone regardless of their age, sex, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity, disability or nationality. We positively welcome applications from people from backgrounds that are currently underrepresented in the arts. If you require information in a different format, or the standard application formats below are not accessible / suitable for you, please telephone 01274 487390 and ask to speak to Naelah Shahzad, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To make an application please:
- complete the Application Form OR
- send a CV (maximum 4 pages) together with a cover letter clearly describing how your skills and experience match the Essential and Desirable Skills.
- complete the online Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form (optional): https://goo.gl/forms/W2g8ScMhvYbQERYg1
Return your form before the deadline to Academy Director Charli Ward: email@example.com.
Or by post to:-
Charli Ward, Academy Director
Mind the Gap
Mind the Gap Studios
Volunteering at Mind the Gap
Applicants to apply before Ongoing
We always welcome volunteers and placements at Mind the Gap. If you would like to give some of your time to us, whilst gaining experience with England’s largest learning-disabled theatre company, click here!